BYS Cruising Group

by / Wednesday, 28 February 2018 / Published in Latest News

It has been 10 days since we set sail on our cruise to circumnavigate the Bass Straight Islands and North Tasmania

First day we left at 05:00  to sail directly to Deal Island as our original destination, Refuge Cove Wilsons Prom, but the next day wind was unsuitable for that anchorage.

So Deal Island, we arrived at 7 :00 Sunday 26th. It was a very protected Island and good walks ( if you did not have a very sore foot).

Rus Gloster( our other crew member and I went fishing in big bird ( 0ur tender) but could not land a fish

We stayed in East Cove on Deal Island for 3 days and set sail to Killiecrankie on NW corner of Flinders Island.I caught 3 decent size fish only to be told by mum that the fish I caught are renown for committing suicide and not very good to eat. I cut them up and using them as bait but no fish seems to want to eat them either!

The next day we had a wonderful sail down the west coast of Flinders Is. we all converged on a narrow section about 2 hours out from our destination. so naturally with three boats side by side the race was on. Crescendo even though was passed on two occasions eventually triumphed and won line honours.

We anchored in Trouser bay, no fish biting and Roger went diving and could not find any crayfish either.The anchorage was very pretty and quiet. However through the night it was howling wind bullets down from the mountain ridge at about 30 knots

The weather report stated that it was going to be a mild NE wind so we set off at 04:00 to sail to the Tamar River North Tas.The weather was mild and we had to motor most of the way, only for a few hours could we have a head sail up.

We stayed in the Tamar Yacht Club Marina for two nights showers, laundry,  a pub 100 metres away and very friendly people. One of the members saw us wheel barrowing empty fuel cans to the service station about 1 km away. He tossed his ute keys and said use the ute I am sailing and won’t be back for several hours.

This was very thoughtful of him and a great help for us.  We got all the fuel we needed for two yachts and went to the hardware store in the next town to get some drain blocking cable to unblock the forward head holding tank which had been blocked for 24 hours. I had spent 4 hours the day before without success to clear it

This little machine $22 worked a treat and we have a draining holding tank once again.So I was elated to finally clear it and we set off yesterday to motor up the Tamar River for 4 hours and 30 minutes to Launceston. Where we are resting and resupplying supplies and walking into town.

Engarde left for Stanley yesterday as Roger has to be back by the weekend.Lorraine has been sailing well and very much into catching up with MKR on TV.We are all going out to dinner at a very good restaurant looking over the marina tonight and head off back to TYC tomorrow and will have to wait for a low to blow through on late Wednesday and Thursday before setting off to Devonport 27 nautical miles away on Friday

We will then sail to Stanley and the Hunter Island and then King Island and wait for a favourable wind window to sail back to BYS.

Richard Gilhome Crescendo – 27/02/18

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.