Looking to Join BYS?
BYS offers the opportunity for new sailing and non-sailing members to join our family-friendly sailing club. You don’t need to know how to sail to join, just a willingness to learn. Members can enjoy all the facilities, join in the activities and be a part of this vibrant and inviting community. BYS prides itself on being an all-inclusive club with a very relaxed family orientated culture – our motto is Family, Friendship, Sailing!
For information on our different membership categories and becoming a member please contact Becky Blair on 5925 9602 or firstname.lastname@example.org, alternatively you can download the application form below and return to Becky. Please also see our FAQs at the bottom of this page.
Reasons to join BYS….
There are a multitude of reasons why we think you should consider joining our club. Here are just a few:
- Enjoy your favourite sport in a safe and supportive environment.
- Sail on the best waters on Port Phillip Bay – good breezes and flat water.
- Share the conviviality of a drink on the deck after sailing or a meal in the bistro.
- Meet new people and make new friends who share a common interest and passion.
- Spend quality time with your kids, away from their distracting electronic devices!
- Enjoy the club’s casual and friendly ambience.
- Store your dinghy on the grass during the season; no trailering of boats.
- The large hardstand accommodates exciting one-design sports keelboats, such as the J70.
- One of the largest marinas on Port Phillip Bay with opportunities to buy or rent a berth.
- Club-owned boats available: Pacers, Tackers, Elliott 5.9s and a J70.
- Large patrol boat fleet ensures safety on the water.
- Active Junior, Youth and Adult Sail Training classes available.
- Learn a new skill.
What category of membership is best for me?
There are several different categories, all with different criteria, some are sailing memberships, some are non-sailing. However the best way to determine the right membership for you that will suit your lifestyle is to call Becky Blair, our Membership Manager, on 5925 9602 to discuss what will suit you best.
How do I become a member at BYS?
The first thing is to determine the category of membership that best suits you or your family. Once you have established this, please complete the membership application form that can be found at the top of this page, and return to Becky Blair either in person or via email – email@example.com. Once we have received your completed application form, you will be formally notified via email of the acceptance of your application and the next steps. Please note that at some stage you will need to attend an informal new member induction before your membership can be approved and admitted.
What if I don’t have a Proposer or Seconder for my application?
If you don’t know any Senior members at the club who can act as your Proposer and Seconder, then two members of the Executive Committee will be able to put their names down for you once you have been to your new member induction and they have met you in person.
How much does it cost to become a member?
The cost varies depending on the category of membership you apply for. Note there is a one off Entrance Fee payable for all new members, together with an ongoing annual fee. See attached fees and subscriptions list at the top of this page.
When does the membership year run from/to?
The membership year commences on 1 May each year and goes through to 30 April. Note that yearly subscription renewal invoices are sent out on, or near, 1 May each year. You can join BYS as a new member at any stage of the year, however, the annual fees will still be billed for the full yearly period if you join between May – January, if joining after January – April then the annual fees will be pro-rated.